Sunday, July 10, 2011

Who Needs Bonneville When You've Got Bolsa Chica?



This morning I took the Hornet (yeah, it's called the Hornet. My first '74 CB was affectionately known as the Hornet - which made more sense, because it was green, but still - the same year and model has to carry on the same name - meet Hornet II) down PCH through Seal Beach, Sunset Beach and on to Huntington. I'd been a little hesitant to take her out on the main roads with all the traffic around here, but I HAD to know what this thing could do.

Once I got down out of Seal Beach, to that Bolsa Chica stretch where there's no more lights or stop signs, the Hornet climbed up through the gears like she'd been waiting for this as much as I had! I had the clear visor up and was sucking in that delicious cool breeze coming off the ocean. It was tough with the wind (or the fact that the Hornet is 37 yrs old) to get her much past 65 mph, but I did hit 70 mph before I took her back down. It was completely exhilarating...on a fairly small 360cc from 1974, 65 mph feels like light speed. Awesome morning.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog Cory, you have such a way with words. Will look forward to the posts for sure!

    ReplyDelete